Books still to collect: 81

Thursday 17 March 2011

Steve Zodiac to the rescue!

I nipped into the charity shops in Basingstoke this afternoon with a view to checking out what Three Investigators books were available. I was quite shocked to see that The Sue Rider and Cancer Research have both closed down, leaving only four shops. As expected, the YMCA and RSPCA and that housing charity one yielded nothing, but the D section on the kid’s books shelf in the BHF looked like this:
If you can draw your gaze away from that tasty looking sultry blonde on the Cindy Dees spine for a minute, you will notice the tell tale signs of the Crimebusters omnibus: Rough Stuff and Funny Business. AHA! I thought. A book for my collection. Then I thought to myself, “Don’t you already have a copy of that in your garage?” The book was £1.25, so I put it back and didn’t buy it. In my experience, the Crimebusters omnibuses are by far the easiest Three Investigators to find, so even if it turns out I don’t have a copy in my garage, I’m confident that I’ll find another, cheaper copy, somewhere else.

Good to see Terrence Dicks still writing Doctor Who books, my goodness what age must he be now, not to mention what weight?

I then had a look at the oversized books where all the annuals are displayed and I saw this:
Lovely! A 1965 Fireball XL-5 annual for only £1.50! Bargain, surely, so I snapped it up.

Now, I know you may be saying to yourself, what a stupid arse, he’s gone into a shop, NOT bought the Three Investigators book he went in to buy and instead bought a shitty old annual. What kind of a blog is this? Bear with me folks till I explain my plan. You see, back in the day, when all of this was trees, I would have expected to get about £25 for this annual. These days, I know I won’t get anywhere near that, but it still must be worth more than £1.50. My scheme, therefore, is to immediately sell this annual on eBay and use the money raised to bid on some Three Investigators books. Good idea, eh? (good idea good idea good idea clap clap clap). I'll let you all know how the auction goes.

On the subject of my garage, I know I have a number of Three Investigators books stuffed away in boxes and crates, I’ll check it out at the weekend when I get home to Glasgow and report back my findings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment