Books still to collect: 81

Monday 21 March 2011

Lord Save My Soul

On Sunday, I popped in to the shopping centre in East Kilbride on some non-Three Investigators related business. Or so I thought. However, when I noticed that despite it being The Lord’s day, there was a charity shop open. Imagine my surprise when I didn’t find any Three Investigators paperbacks, but found this instead: Wow! When did you last find a hardback Three Investigators in a charity shop? I reckon its years since I’ve found one, yet here it is. Condition is a bit shite though, as you can see in the picture. The previous owner, Paul Morton, had taken to doodling on the cover of the book, shading out some of the lettering with a pen. Looking at the pen marks, I realised that this was not a random scribbling, but clearly a code worthy of Jupiter Jones himself to solve! You see, he had scribbled out certain letters, which when written out, clearly formed a word. The letters are; “G A O T R O R O.” What does this mean? Fuck knows, I am not Jupiter Jones, if I ever bump into Paul I will be sure to ask him. Mind you, that is if he hasn’t murdered everyone in his entire family yet. What am I talking about? Ever watch The Shining with Jack Nicolson? Hmm? Then check out the inside back cover of the book:
He also wrote this epithet on the title page and across the top edge of the pages. I’m telling you, no-one in the Morton household is safe, it is only a matter of time.

A great result, scribbled pages and ominous religious prophesies notwithstanding, and the first hardback in my new collection.

2 comments:

  1. You should do a blog on the dodgy 3I covers, like the laughable shrinking house and the scary invisible dog...as the artist had obviously never read the book, or even seen a synopsis.

    ReplyDelete