Books still to collect: 81

Friday 16 December 2011

Deadly Double, Toil and Trouble

It’s not enough, bloggers, just to search eBay for “three investigators” or indeed “3 investigators” and hope for the best.  Some of the more useless sellers just list the actual title of the book, missing out everything other than the actual title.  In this instance, “Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators in The Mystery of the Stuttering Parrot” can be listed as “The Mystery of The Stuttering Parrot” or even in cases of extreme uselessness; “The Stuttering Parrot”.  Since most searches will include only “Three Investigators” or “3 Investigators”, then any book listed as “MYSTERY OF THE DEADLY DOUBLE – ARDEN” will not be found.  Being a seasoned eBay guy, I search every day for the individual titles in the series, which is how I managed to get this book for less than £20:

Nice, eh?  I know the DJ is a little tatty, however bear in mind it is not an ex-library book and therefore has clean pages throughout.  It’s a bit of a hen’s tooth this one, in fact this is the only copy I have discovered online since I started this collection back in March. 
I was so pleased with my purchase that I settled down to read it.  My my my what a mistake that was.  Total rubbish from start to end, pretty much.  I remember thinking it was a bit shite when I read it years ago and indeed time has not been kind to The Mystery of the Deadly Double.  Jupiter seems to spend half of the book being kidnapped and there isn’t even a Scooby Doo monster to keep us entertained.  Total tripe from beginning to end; is this really from the same author who gave us Dead Man’s Riddle and more recently Headless Horse?  Well I suppose everyone is allowed an off-day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment