Books still to collect: 81

Friday 16 December 2011

Treasure Island

Some business to take care of in Paisley, so while there I thought I might have a goosey in Abbey Books. I remember the good old days when it was in Gordon Street and they had a most excellent back room with loads of old children’s books. This was the scene of many a triumph for me, with several T3I books including that most excellent dustjacketted Phantom Lake from my old collection. The prices used to be absolutely fantastic as well, folks, and I remember picking up a first edition St Clare’s book by Enid Blyton, complete with DJ, for a couple of quid. Anyway that was then and this is now, and the premises have moved to the other end of town as the original building was falling down. The business has been sold to new owners as well, who seem nice enough. The first thing I noticed when I went in was a large box of vintage children’s books on the floor. You know the kind of stuff; all hardback with dust jackets, 1960’s style. There were Bobbsey Twins, Biggles, some Blytons and a bunch of random adventure stories you have never heard of. Anyway I had a good root through it and although I never found any T3I, I did find a rather nice Trouble with Jennings. Or so I thought, but as I had a look past the DJ, it was actually a different book inside. Bollocks,eh? Well, serves me right for digressing from my main purpose, which was of course to find some T3I. There were none at all on the kids’ shelves, but when I was through in the back room browsing the film related titles, I found a couple of Three Investigators books. The owner told me he put them there due to the Hitchcock connection. Anyway, here are the books I bought:At only 80p each, these didn’t break the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment